Hellenic Women’s Benevolent Association (HWBA)
In 1954, a group of Greek Orthodox women, realizing the growing plight of elderly individuals left alone and unable to care for themselves met and formed a non-profit organization called the Hellenic Women’s Benevolent Association (HWBA). By-laws were developed and a State Charter from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts was secured marking the beginning of what was then the Hellenic Nursing Home for the Aged, today known as the Hellenic Nursing & Rehabilitation Center (HNRC).
In May of 1970 HWBA purchased the present location on Sherman Street in Canton, MA. Construction began in 1971 on a 120 bed facility and doors opened in May 1973.
In 1986, recognizing the growing needs of the community, the HWBA expanded the home to 154 bed capacity and enhanced the mission of the home to a skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility. It was at this time that the name was changed to Hellenic Nursing and Rehabilitation Center to better reflect the services provided and the expanded mission. A Secured Unit was established in 1996 and it was completely renovated in 2014.
The facility began and continues to operate as a non-profit institution under the direction of the Hellenic Women’s Benevolent Association (HWBA).
Hellenic Women’s Benevolent Association’s mission is to sponsor and oversee the Hellenic Nursing an Rehabilitation Center; engage and commit itself to fund-raising activities which serve to promote and enhance the quality of life of the residents entrusted in its care.
Hellenic Women’s Benenvolent Association
Executive Board Members
The Hellenic Women’s Benevolent Association, Inc.
601 Sherman Street
Canton, Massachusetts 02021
Tel: (781) 828-4549 * Fax: (781) 828-0244